This post is an article from the Summer 2017 issue of the OYAN Review and has been edited slightly for publication on the blog. It was written by Keli Yeats of the Multnomah County Library.
As you may have heard, “The Great American Eclipse” is coming on Monday, August 21st, and parts of Oregon are on the path of totality (Here’s a list of communities that will be able to see the full eclipse). Other areas should be able to see a partial or near total eclipse.
While you are preparing for traffic and tourists, many of your are planning programs as well. Fortunately there are a lot of resources to help you with your program.
- If you missed the deadline to receive materials from STAR_Net, you can still access some helpful information and materials. They also have put their eclipse guide online to download for free.
- Of course NASA has a lot of information on this celestial event.
- NASA is also going to livestream the eclipse and is giving veiwers an opportunity to interact with scientists. Over the course of 100 minutes, they will show the eclipse as it moves across the country, cover eclipse viewing parties, and offer views from weather balloon and space craft for a unique vantage point.
- The Solar Vision App allows users to have a real-time close-up view of the sun. Users can watch for solar flares and view the sun through a number of different filters.
- Library Journal has created a special booklist just for the event.
Keep in mind while planning and promoting your programs and displays that several Native cultures may not be receptive to attending eclipse programs because of cultural views surrounding it. This letter from Naomi Bishop, President of the American Indian Library Association, provides some more information.
After you events, don’t forget to share with your colleagues. Post it to the Facebook group or send in a write up to be posted on the Facebook Page or the OYAN blog.
We welcome all your comments, articles, photos, book reviews, ideas, and suggestions for future OYAN Review newsletters! Please submit to email@example.com.